Nutty Black Bean Bowl
Words of Life
"Getting creative in the kitchen, doesn't have to be boring, but it does mean, you must try. "
- I used canned black bean because I didn't have any precooked ones.
If you decide to cook your dried beans, soak for 24 hours, then cook for about 1-2 hours till tender. Then preserve them by putting them into an air tight jar filled with water.
- Dill spice was bought in Itaewon at the Foreign Market
- If you have a rice cooker great, you'll need about 3-4 cups of rice depending on how many bowls you want to make.
This recipe was for 3-4 people
* 1 can of black bean (drained and rinsed)
* 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes
* 3 packets of instant mixed rice
* 1 tofu packet (200g) cubed
* 1/2 tsp of onion powder
* 1/2 tsp of dill spice
* 1 packet of oyster mushrooms (break them up into pieces)
* 2 cups of chopped oak leaf lettuce
* 1/4 cup of frisee leaves
* 1/4 cup of shredded carrots
* sesame seeds for garnish
* 1/4 cup of oriental dressing
* 1/4 cup of frying oil
* peanut sauce for dressing
* 1-2 avocados
1) In a fry pan, heat up some oil and fry the tofu
2) While the tofu is frying, in a tupperware add the oriental dressing and the oyster mushrooms, mix and set aside
3) Shred the carrots, cut the oak leaf lettuce & quarter the tomatoes
4) Check if the tofu is done, set aside. Remove the oil from the pan and then add the mushrooms.
5) Allow it to fry till the juices have evaporated and the mushrooms are fully cooked, then set aside
6) In the same pan, add the black beans, dill spice and onion powder
7) Assemble - in a bowl add rice, then lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, black beans, mushrooms, tofu, then top it off with 1/2 an avocado sliced and garnish with sesame seed. Drizzle some of the peanut sauce over it.
That's it! All done! The Nutty Black Bean Bowl is ready to serve. The presentation even looks delicious and inviting. A great way to impress those skeptical guests who can't imagine vegans can eat so good.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.